Wednesday, July 16, 2008

3 year anniversary - Spent at YOKOHAMA, Japan!

Wow...what a day. It's 12:28am. I'm pretty exhausted, but will blog a bit before bed. Check again later today for more.

As planned, we went to Yokohama. What a city. Totally recommend anyone who is planning a trip to Tokyo to take the 30 minute train ride to this wonderful city.

First, we went to the Raumen Museum. Well, it wasn't really a museum, but more of a food court. We paid 300 yen for entrance. I was planning on learning a bit about the history of the noodle, but there was none to be found. It was more of a food court, but a very cool one. It looks like an old Japanese replica of some streets and houses of Shitamachi, the old town of Tokyo, of around the year 1958, when the popularity of ramen was rapidly increasing. Nine ramen restaurants can be found there, each featuring a ramen dish from a different region of Japan. (source). It was the best bowl of noodles I've ever eaten:
While at Shin-Yokohama, we went to Bic Cameras, a 9 floor electronics store. Here is just a TINY sample of what they had:

This is about half their selection in Nintendo DS lite CASES

Sony PSPs in 7 colours

Colourful metronomes

Then we went to an area called Minato Mirai 21. This was the place which had the theme park from one of my first blogs a couple weeks ago. The Ferris wheel there is one of the biggest in the world:

The roller coaster was pink!
It goes underground

We took the 15 minute ride on the Ferris wheel and got a nice view.
The shopping there was awesome. Lots of Japanese fashion. We went to a few HUGE shopping malls: Cross Gate (where TGIFridays is), World Porters, Queen's Square, Landmark Plaza.

Here is a sampling of interesting Japanese items:
Saw TONS trucker hats. I think they're making a comeback.
At about 7:30pm, we were planning to go up the Landmark Tower, a 70 story skyscraper that is the landmark of Yokohama. It also boasts the worlds fastest elevator, reaching the 69th floor in less than 40 seconds. I took a video going up and down. Hopefully I can post it here soon.

The lucky thing for us was that it just so happened to be the 15th anniversary of the building. For an hour, it was free to go up! (It usually costs 1000 yen/person). When we reached the top, people were sipping wine. It was like a party. We took pics from the top:
We also decided to have caricatures made. The artist was so fast:
She gave me chubby cheeks haha

We then took some more tripod photos of the ferris wheel, again with slow shutter speed:
The ride home was, ironically, the funniest event of the day. On one of the trains, the wife sat down and I stood. The young man beside her began to fall asleep. A few minutes later, the wife poked me and pointed left: He started leaning on her! I remember back in the day doing the same thing on the 41st bus to UBC. I couldn't contain my laughter. I had to turn around and hide my face. I probably haven't laughed that hard since I first saw Russell Peters .

Found an awesome 24 hour take out bento-style joint near our apartment/hotel. Got tonkatsu. Went to work out and met another Canadian who has taught English here for over 9 years.

We'll probably take it easy tomorrow, and stay in Tokyo.

1 comment:

Ange of the North said...

The caricature looks just like you, Steve! Happy anniversary, you two! xox